champions

Sunday, November 21, 2010

Last January I resolved to run a half marathon. It is hard for me to believe that eleven months later I crossed the finish line. Actually, we. We crossed the finish line, my friends that raced, cheered, listened, led, encouraged, pedaled, advised, massaged, believed, pushed, inspired, fed, and sang. THANK YOU. This was achieved because of you.


I waited to put these pictures up until after my post race nap so that maybe I would have some charming things to say. I might need to return to bed because I don't. It was a memorable experience and mostly I am glad its over. Like all things very wonderful, it was a terrible struggle. This memory might take a few more ice packs to grow sweeter but even since supper I am recalling it more fondly.

A post run meeting was scheduled at the wellness center hot tub but sadly I couldn't join. I burned my leg pretty badly earlier this week and a warm shower, though tolerable, is not enjoyable. Besides, oozing blisters might not be welcomed at the hot tub. I have a picture of it but that might not be welcomed here either. The burn is from boiling water that I spilled down my leg while cooking pasta. It is healing nicely and running with it went better than I thought- though the raw patch is bigger and maybe a bit rawer. Sorry for all the grossness. It is not visible in these pictures because it is on my upper thigh, well hidden by gauze and my shorts.

Yes, so excited about mile six! Andrew is training for a race long enough to have "ultra" in the title and even though thirteen miles is half the distance he needed to run today he jumped into the course, though not officially, racked up the miles and put in a good time. Cowbell in hand, he looped amongst us, bringing a steady pace and good cheer. When he appeared running towards me at mile twelve I held on and we rocked to the finish. I tried to walk but he sang of pilgrims and pumped his arms high.
You can't see Amanda's number in this picture but were numbers 14 and 15. That, my friends, is dedication and commitment! Maybe I am a little sad because the journey is over. I am not trying to instigate more running but its been fun being with the team. How does a book club sound? We can drink gatorade.

12 comments:

Nicholas said...

I was there. Actually, I'm here right now. So are you. Right across the table.

Emily said...

Maybe a walking club. Once I am able to walk again.

laSonya said...

You Elisa are my inspiration. I want to be as good as you. Email me your tips so I can secretly train to be like you.

Jessi Jo said...

Elisa...why didn't we hang out more when we both called Tennessee home. DARN. I like you and your writing. I like that you pushed and conquered too. That is fun. I am sorry about your leg. I am sad that I wasn't there to join the fan club, but a book club sounds delightful. Can it be long distance? Not in the running sense...

BrittanyK said...

Way to run the race! Paul would be proud, just as I am.

Christoffer said...

Good job, Elisa. It sounds like you like running even more than I do. Way more. It's probably not as healthy as you think to do a half marathon every day. But if you insist...

J-MAR said...

you did fantastic!! It was good to see yah out the club of 13.1 ers!

TaraB said...

Elisa. You are a champion. A for real one. It was a PLEASURE to come and support. It's also a pleasure to watch you guys try to walk now... but in a more "I'm-not-a-good-friend-for-laughing" kind of way.

Ben Schnell said...

Way to push through even with a leg injury! Thats real grit and determination. Thanks for letting me give you superfluous running tips over the phone. Great job!

LIME said...

(this is my way of showing i read your post, but can't think of anything 'smart' or 'funny' to say)

I am now subscribed to National Geographic, you seem like someone who would be as excited by this as me.

Ohh, and we owe you a letter.

robbie

Dylan Wren said...

You are a champ! I am proud of you.

Andrea said...

You have accomplished many fine goals this year, but this has to be one of the craziest...er, most challenging! Job well done!!